Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Cheap Toilet Paper Fallacy



An article a few days ago in the New York Times talked about why Crohn’s disease isn’t much talked about.  People suffering from Crohn’s disease always have to know where the toilets are.
I don’t have Crohn’s, but I understand.  I only run on routes where I know the locations of the toilets.  I’ve had difficulties being a world traveler.  When I sit around a hotel room nothing happens.  When I get up and go exploring in a city, it’s time.

This has given me a certain, I won’t say expertise, but familiarity with the toilet paper supplied by a variety of public institutions.  I’ve visited many of those institutions while running and cycling in the greater Seattle area.

Seattle Parks, for instance.  Their TP is light and flimsy.  It probably costs half what more substantial paper costs.  That’s a poor economy.  Let’s say at home I tear off good quality TP in four-sheet lengths. Do I tear off eight at a Parks potty?  No, more like twelve, or let’s face it, sometimes you just grab a wad instead of sheets.  One consequence is that the rolls have to be replaced much more frequently, and that means more labor.  Any cost accountant who thinks a savings in paper supplies is not offset by increased labor costs should be doing something else.

Related sidebar:  I’ve been gluten-free for going on two years.  I’m doing it because my wife is gluten-sensitive.  I’m not.  It just makes menu-planning easier.  I do miss the currant scones and  tuna sandwiches on good rye.  But I’ve discovered a benefit that keeps me away from wheat.  That sudden need to find the potty?  It’s calmed a bit.  I have more time to search.  Enough of a benefit that today I mostly stay out of the bakeries I used to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment